Dalia Upama (Broken Wheat Salad or Burghul)



Like all mothers, the world over, I fret that my kids are fed healthy yet tasty food. Fuel for their body and soul. Breakfast, being the first meal of the day, it is particularly difficult, I need to pack in enough nutrients to kick start their day, everyone is in a tearing hurry and like  kids , my two are not very fond of breakfasts either.  So, smoothies are a great option for us and on days. I'm in a particularly indulgent mood, I cook!

Cracked wheat or dalia, is not very popular with my family members. But, its packed with nutrients, its healthy, its low in calories and high in protein, fibre and its very filling. So, I make sure I keep it as option in my breakfast menu planning. Today, being a vegetarian day, in our home, I cooked 'Dalia Upma'

Ingredients:

  2 Cups of broken wheat (burghul) soaked in a litre of water for an hour

  1 Cup of chopped vegetables (carrots, beans and tomatoes and peas)

 1 Tsp black mustard seeds (rai)

6/8 Nos curry leaves

1 Red chilli dry

1 Onion finely chopped onion

1/2 Tsp turmeric

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 Tbsp lemon juice

1 Tsp sugar

Salt to taste.



Method:


Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and the red chilli. let them splutter. Add the chopped onions and fry until pale and pink.

Add the chopped vegetables, turmeric and saute for a 5 minutes.

Drain the cracked wheat in a sieve and squeeze out the excess water.

Add to the vegetables and stir together. Add salt and the sugar.  Mix well.

Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan and mix. Cover with a lid and turn the flame to low.

Cook for 5/7 mins or until done.

Add the lime juice and give it a stir. Fluff up using a fork.

Serve with fresh mint chutney.



Don't forget to share and comment below if you liked this dish.

Follow me on Instagram - @kashmirinath

Comments

Popular Posts