Burmese Tofu


Lentils and legumes are featuring high on my ingredient list during these lockdown days. Its been a saviour when the supply of fresh produce is erratic and irregular. I like to make my life easy but that doesn't mean that meals are doing to be dull and boring. A sense of excitement and thrill has to be there when food is served on the table. That is when the creative side comes in handy and mercifully, information is at the finger tips. Despite the troubled times that we are living through, there is still so much to be grateful too. Technology has been the greatest gift in these times. Keeping us connected to our loved ones no matter how far apart physically, one is just a phone call away. 

Anyway, I stumbled upon "Burmese Tofu", or rather little heart discovered. I waved her off, saying it was another fancy name for our Gujarati Khandvi. After all, Indian cuisine uses a lot of gramflour and so many dishes are cooked where the humble besan is the star. But, she insisted this was different and took over my kitchen space while I watched her with skepticism, while she busied herself with the pots and pans. The final dish just blew me off, it was so flavoursome, the silky texture and the winsome sauce was beyond anything I had expected.  We have made this dish several times since and is always a hit with everyone. I thought I should share it here on my blog.



Burmese Tofu is healthy, delicious and SOOOO simple to make. You can add it to your salad, have it as a snack, or even add it to your curries or in a sandwich, it is absolutely versatile. I can guarantee you that you will fall in love with the texture and flavour. It is a staple in Burmese cuisine and comes from the Shan state, bordering Thailand, Loas, and China. Since, travelling is put on hold for a while, I'm travelling through my taste buds!  Sharing the recipe below.





Would love to here your feedback for this recipe. 
Comment down below and don't forget to connect with on Instagram: @kashmirinath


       

Comments

Popular Posts