Chicken Kofta Curry

   








  I have these moments, when I can't think of anything to cook. I stand in front of the fridge and my  mind is just blank. The greens don't excite me, the vegetables look vague and nothing entices me . Mostly, I've everything planned in my head and I'm pretty quick and businesslike in the kitchen but not today. I  just finished  a big day of baking ,so I guess, my mind and body is not cooperating with each other. 


Then, I recall seeing Asha Shiv's Chicken Kofta curry on Instagram, it had looked very inviting and comforting, a large bowl of hot koftas in a glorious tomato gravy. So, that's what I was going to cook, a bowl of  comforting chicken koftas in a tomato curry and serve it with plain steamed rice. Lunch will be done in under an hour. and, I'm sorted!


Ingredients:


For the Kofta 

250gm of chicken mince

1 onion chopped fine

1tsp ginger and garlic paste

1 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro

1 tsp fresh chopped mint 

1/2 tsp kashmiri mirch

1/4 tsp turmeric

1 egg 

1 tsp salt

Oil for frying


For the tomato gravy

1 large onion,

6 cloves of garlic

1 inch ginger

2 large tomatoes

2 cup fresh shelled peas

1/2 tsp turmeric

1 tsp kashmiri mirch

1 tsp garam masala

1 tsp cumin powder

1 tsp coriander powder

1 bay leaf

2 cup water

salt to taste

2 tbsp ghee or cooking oil

1 tsp whole garam masala (cardamom, cloves and cinnamon)

1 tbsp of chopped Cilantro for garnishing

1 tsp fresh cream (optional)




Method:


In a bowl, mix lightly all the ingredients for the koftas except the oil, which is for frying. 


Make small balls of equal size . Keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan and fry the chicken koftas until light golden brown. we are going to simmer them in the gravy anyway, so don't worry . I like my koftas to be firm but juicy not too dry. 


Keep them aside.


Make a paste of the onion, ginger and garlic.  keep aside.


Heat the ghee in a pan.


Add the bay leaf and the whole cardamon,cinnamon and cloves. Fry for 30 secs.


Now, add the ground onion, ginger and garlic paste. stir fry this ground paste until it is golden brown.  

Mix together the turmeric, kashmiri mirch, coriander and cumin powder with a table spoon of water. Add this to the pan and stir fry again, until the oil floats on top.

Chop the tomatoes and blend in a blender until smooth. Add this to the pan and cook again for another 5 mins until it no longer smells raw and the mixture looks a gorgeous golden .


Add  peas and salt. stir fry for a few minutes. Then add the 2 cups of water.

Bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, lower the flame and simmer for about 15mins. 

Add the koftas and cover and simmer for another 10 mins. 

Uncover and sprinkle the garam masala powder and the fresh cilantro. 

Turn off heat and transfer to serving bowl. If you are using fresh cream,add on top and serve with plain steamed rice. A salad of cucumber and onion with a squeeze of lime goes really well.

Don't forget to share and comment below.

Follow me on Instagram: @kashmirinath









   

Comments

Popular Posts