Mixed Bean Curry

                            


              
 Every time I step out of the house, I'm tuned to looking out for vendors who sell local vegetables, fruits or greens. some I recognize, others I don't but I'm always curious. I love driving past markets where the villagers bring in their products,  collected from their backyards and selling them. It captures my imagination and looking at them transports me to the tranquil  space they come from. The villages in Assam are very beautiful, surrounded by green lush fields and plenty of water bodies. Its still pristine and untouched.


Yesterday, while parking the car in a busy market place, I spied a vendor ambling past with two bamboo baskets filled with beans. I ran after him asking him to stop much to my husband's chagrin. He can never understand my constant urge to look at roadside vendors  and my excitement upon seeing their wares. Thats how i bought these beans, which the sweet man told me is 'Rajma' ( red kidney beans). He was not wrong but on closer inspection , I found  they were  mix of flat beans, broad beans, Pinto beans and lablab beans and they are fresh to boot, no processing done, no preservatives added to increase shelf life.  They were as fresh as it could be. If i could I would have bought the entire basket and gifted my family and friends! Since, that was not the case, I bought some and that both of  us happy, the seller because the sun was low and he wanted his basket to weigh as less as possible and I because I was getting fresh produce! We both chatted and parted ways. Life is beautiful despite everything, I love these little unanticipated surprises that cheer me up, every now and then. Cooking not only puts food on the table it nourishes absolutely nourishes my soul. 

Sharing here the recipe to turn these beans into a delicious creamy curry to be had with rice. Our bowl got completely polished off at lunch and my husband now thinks that I should buy some more!


Ingredients:


250gm of fresh mixed beans if available if not use Rajma ( Red kidney beans soaked overnight)

1 large onion chopped fine

1 tbsp garlic chopped fine

1 tbsp ginger grated

2 large tomatoes, pureed

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp turmeric

1 tsp garam masala

1 tsp cumin powder

2 tbsp of cooking oil

1 tsp of whole  Garam masala

1 bay leaf

salt to taste


Method:

Wash the fresh beans several times under running water.  Put into a pressure cooker along with 2 cups of water, add 1 tsp salt and bring to a boil. After two whistles, lower the flame and cook for another 10 mins. Turn off the heat. Let it cool Check the beans, they must be completely cooked, soft to touch .

In a pan, heat oil . Add the whole cardamom, cinnamon and cloves and bay leaf. Fry for a couple of seconds.

Add, chopped onions and fry for a few minutes until it turns pink but not browned, add the garlic and ginger. stir and cook for another 1min or so.

Add the pureed tomatoes and stir well and continue to fry for a couple of minutes.

Mix all the other spices with a teaspoon of water and add to the onion, tomato mixture. cook for another few minutes or until the oil separates.

Add the cooked beans to the above mixture and mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle the garam masala powder.

Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle fresh coriander leaves. Serve with steamed rice. 
  


Don't forget to write your experience with this recipe in the comments below.
Follow me on Instagram - @kashmirinath 




Comments

Popular Posts